Thursday, February 17, 2011

My first post

I will not mention the name of the motion picture but it starred one of the biggest male actors of our generation. It was a story about the relationship between an abusive father and his son. I could not stop thinking about this movie, how simple and uninteresting it was. I kept wondering; how could this film, with such an unremarkable theme and ordinary set of events, become a big Hollywood hit? How could the script attract the attention of an actor who literally can take or leave any role put in front of him? My own father’s life account was much more intriguing than this story!

This notion kept playing through my mind. Eventually I came to the daunting realization that I needed to write a book about my father’s life. I never enjoyed writing, not in elementary school nor high school, and especially not in college, but I felt compelled to scribe my father’s memoirs, even at the risk of setting the art of journalism back a few years.

The above is an excerpt from the Foreword of my first book, The Teacher and the Tough Guy.  It provides some background on why I took on the intimidating task of writing a book, especially when writing had not been an avocation of mine.  However, the experience of writing my book was so joyful and so rewarding, that it has become my passion and I am now in the midst of writing two other books.

I started this blog to share my writing experience in hopes of encouraging others who may be tackling their first book, or are aspiring to write a book and just need a kick-start.

No comments: